Many rappers would have you believe that they’re hustling 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Not only is that impossible—you’d pass out from sheer exhaustion inside of 11 days—but it’s not the most efficient way to work. Oddisee, for one, freely admits that you’ve got to “turn your Hustle Off, and slow your speed” every now and then, in order to recharge your batteries and avoid reckless decisions. Coming on the heels of the similarly-themed Slow It Down (off Mello Music Group‘s forthcoming compilation), the DMV fave’s latest single finds him showcasing his skills on both sides of the mixing boards. With an appropriately leisurely keyboard-percusioin groove as his backdrop, the artist offers a holistic approach to success in the game. In a flow dripping with chill self-confidence, he warns against “jumpin’ ahead of [yourself] and diggin’ a deeper ditch,” instead advising listeners to pursue their goals in a thoughtful, measured manner. As insightful as it is ear-pleasing, this head-noddable selection is one of many bangers to be found on Odd’s People Hear What They See, due out June 12, via Mello Music Group.
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop's Cool Again" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.