Thus far in 2014, we’ve already featured boatloads of dope new music, but in the Back of My Mind I’ve had the feeling that something was missing. Now I know what—or rather, who—it was: Oddisee. Not featured on the solo tip since October, when he won rave Booth reviews for Own Appeal, the D.C. rapper and producer kicks the new year off on an introspective note with this freshly-minted video single. Over his own pensive piano loops and understated bells, Odd takes stock of his current hustle, spitting about his struggle to distinguish real friends from snakes in the grass and acknowledging his recent exasperation with the haters. Paolo Escobar provides some tuneful hook vocals, and Jeremy Ian Thomas directs the moody official visuals. For Back of My Mind and much more, cop Oddisee’s Tangible Dream LP, out now via Mello Music Group.
Written by richard on 03/10/14
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop's Cool Again" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.