By now, heads across the blogosphere are struggling in vain to summarize the video for Rella, the long-awaited lead single off Odd Future‘s second group mixtape. So I’m not even gonna try—though I will say that my favorite moment is when Hodgy Beats’ crotch lasers transform people into cats. As for the song itself, Rella is exactly what fans of the collective have come to expect, with producer Tara Razavi‘s squelching synth boardwork banging in the background as three of OF’s finest drop unhinged, free-associative verses. Hodgy is first to rock the the mic, showcasing a swagger so prodigious it can “...turn them apples into Snapple” on the front, and Domo Genesis follows him up with an equally bold and arrogant middle 16. The grand finale, of course, comes courtesy of Tyler the Creator, who laces the back end with some of the grimiest, most uncomfortably funny d*ck-related rhymes I’ve heard since… well, the last Tyler the Creator record. Does Rella bode well for OF Tape Vol. 2? As always, I leave it to Booth readers to issue the final verdict. Those who like what they’re hearing will be able to cop the project March 30, when it hits online retailers and record stores everywhere.
Written by richard on 02/21/12
You may know them as Odd Future Wolfgang Kill Them All a.k.a. OFWKTA a.k.a. Odd Future a.k.a. OF. Whatever they are, they confuse me. When I listen to OFWKTA I can’t tell whether I should laugh, cry, rob a bank, get into a...
Odd Future LLC
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)