“Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks…” is arguably one of the most famous one-liners in rap history…ever. You disagree? Well, that’s ok, I really don’t care. Regardless, that famous line was heard ten years ago (yes, it has been that long) on Eminem’s Without Me (after being sampled from Obie’s Rap Name) and since that breakthrough Obie’s approach to his music has stayed the same; no gimmicks. At all. Ever. Well folks, things are still the same for the former Shady artist, and we have proof of that commitment to consistency in the form of Richard, a stand-out cut from Obie’s long-delayed (no seriously, really really long-delayed) Bottoms Up album. Produced by the increasingly omnipresent Statik Selektah, Richard is a funky track where Obie and Em take turns pompously rapping about how they are “dicks” to society, with Mathers also lending a hand on the chorus where he describes the exact reasons you can call him, well, the rap game’s biggest Richard. Bottoms Up will be released on April 3 - until then we’re willing to bet you’ll keep this one on repeat continuously, if only to catch all of Slim Shady’s always rewind-worthy references.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 03/22/12
Submit your Rating
Black Market Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Detroit Summer" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.