“Obie Trice, real name, no gimmicks…” is arguably one of the most famous one-liners in rap history…ever. You disagree? Well, that’s ok, I really don’t care. Regardless, that famous line was heard ten years ago (yes, it has been that long) on Eminem’s Without Me (after being sampled from Obie’s Rap Name) and since that breakthrough Obie’s approach to his music has stayed the same; no gimmicks. At all. Ever. Well folks, things are still the same for the former Shady artist, and we have proof of that commitment to consistency in the form of Richard, a stand-out cut from Obie’s long-delayed (no seriously, really really long-delayed) Bottoms Up album. Produced by the increasingly omnipresent Statik Selektah, Richard is a funky track where Obie and Em take turns pompously rapping about how they are “dicks” to society, with Mathers also lending a hand on the chorus where he describes the exact reasons you can call him, well, the rap game’s biggest Richard. Bottoms Up will be released on April 3 - until then we’re willing to bet you’ll keep this one on repeat continuously, if only to catch all of Slim Shady’s always rewind-worthy references.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 03/22/12
Black Market Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Detroit Summer" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.