If you’re one of the many fans who’ve been waiting, fiending for Obie Trice‘s senior set… well, you’ve probably just about kicked the habit. It’s been a damn long time, to put it lightly. Fortunately, all it takes is a single sip to send you back to the bottle—thus, I’m very proud to present the project’s latest single. Despite the title, this joint is as much a therapy session as a Battle Cry. Rezza Brothers serve up a piano-led instrumental that drips with wounded determination, and Obie Trice’ delivers rhymes to match the beat’s emotional tenor. Addressing all those who’ve stood in his way—penny-ante haters and industry bureaucrats alike—the Motown emcee laments the fact that his talent and hard work have gone unappreciated for so long: “I ain’t never came wack, all I ever gave’s crack / All I ever gave’s back, ain’t a human being on this earth say opposite that.” Regardless, as the currently-uncredited hook singer puts it, the spitter’s gonna “...keep goin’ on,” driven onward by the hope of a brighter tomorrow. And it looks like that day might be coming sooner than later—the long-delayed Bottoms Up is now set to arrive in record stores August 23, via BME. Keep your fingers crossed!
Written by richard on 08/2/11
Submit your Rating
Black Market Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Detroit Summer" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.