No matter how much I try to fight it, I just can’t resist an r&b song laced with an otherworldly, mystical violin harmony that has me forgetting I’m on earth. With that said, please excuse the bias, but Novel’s latest release, Take Over, is absolutely phenomenal. Written, produced, and (obviously) performed by the man himself, Novel’s beautifully-crafted, string-filled backdrop (thanks in part to Ashanti “The Mad Violinist” Floyd) to his own seductive (yes, I said seductive) vocals makes this song more than deserving of a spot in anyone’s rotation. The song’s symphonic vibe behind Novel’s soulful beckoning may not be for everyone, and the last minute and a half could have worked better shaved to thirty seconds, but ultimately Take Over is, at its core, brilliant. There’s always a reason why an artist becomes a Booth favorite, and this is one of them. Like his previous solo offering Caffeine and Cigarettes, Take Over is off Novel’s currently shelved Audiobiography album, which we can currently only hope eventually sees the light of day.
Listen to More: Novel Written by Matty K
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.