No matter how much I try to fight it, I just can’t resist an r&b song laced with an otherworldly, mystical violin harmony that has me forgetting I’m on earth. With that said, please excuse the bias, but Novel’s latest release, Take Over, is absolutely phenomenal. Written, produced, and (obviously) performed by the man himself, Novel’s beautifully-crafted, string-filled backdrop (thanks in part to Ashanti “The Mad Violinist” Floyd) to his own seductive (yes, I said seductive) vocals makes this song more than deserving of a spot in anyone’s rotation. The song’s symphonic vibe behind Novel’s soulful beckoning may not be for everyone, and the last minute and a half could have worked better shaved to thirty seconds, but ultimately Take Over is, at its core, brilliant. There’s always a reason why an artist becomes a Booth favorite, and this is one of them. Like his previous solo offering Caffeine and Cigarettes, Take Over is off Novel’s currently shelved Audiobiography album, which we can currently only hope eventually sees the light of day.
Written by Matty K on 03/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.