No matter how much I try to fight it, I just can’t resist an r&b song laced with an otherworldly, mystical violin harmony that has me forgetting I’m on earth. With that said, please excuse the bias, but Novel’s latest release, Take Over, is absolutely phenomenal. Written, produced, and (obviously) performed by the man himself, Novel’s beautifully-crafted, string-filled backdrop (thanks in part to Ashanti “The Mad Violinist” Floyd) to his own seductive (yes, I said seductive) vocals makes this song more than deserving of a spot in anyone’s rotation. The song’s symphonic vibe behind Novel’s soulful beckoning may not be for everyone, and the last minute and a half could have worked better shaved to thirty seconds, but ultimately Take Over is, at its core, brilliant. There’s always a reason why an artist becomes a Booth favorite, and this is one of them. Like his previous solo offering Caffeine and Cigarettes, Take Over is off Novel’s currently shelved Audiobiography album, which we can currently only hope eventually sees the light of day.
Written by Matty K on 03/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.