No matter how much I try to fight it, I just can’t resist an r&b song laced with an otherworldly, mystical violin harmony that has me forgetting I’m on earth. With that said, please excuse the bias, but Novel’s latest release, Take Over, is absolutely phenomenal. Written, produced, and (obviously) performed by the man himself, Novel’s beautifully-crafted, string-filled backdrop (thanks in part to Ashanti “The Mad Violinist” Floyd) to his own seductive (yes, I said seductive) vocals makes this song more than deserving of a spot in anyone’s rotation. The song’s symphonic vibe behind Novel’s soulful beckoning may not be for everyone, and the last minute and a half could have worked better shaved to thirty seconds, but ultimately Take Over is, at its core, brilliant. There’s always a reason why an artist becomes a Booth favorite, and this is one of them. Like his previous solo offering Caffeine and Cigarettes, Take Over is off Novel’s currently shelved Audiobiography album, which we can currently only hope eventually sees the light of day.
Listen to More: Novel
Written by Matty K on 03/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)