Jay-Z‘s Song Cry was (and is) a powerful record, and I think that’s due in part to the fact that it was coming from a man who’d once spit, “Me give my heart to a woman? Not for nothing, never.” Novel, on the other hand, seems like a guy who’s in touch with his emotions, and so unreleased cut Song Cry II (making its online premiere at DJBooth.net!) is a very different animal. That’s not a bad thing—on the contrary, it’s probably the best thing: Novel’s, crowd-pleasing, falsetto-laced vocals and soulful, sampled beat (which, unfortunately, is the reason why this record won’t be on his LP’s tracklist), make SCII a truly original riff on Hova’s classic, as well as a great listen in its own right. At the end of the day, Novel may not have needed to make this song cry, but, as far as listeners are concerned, it’s a damned good thing he did. In regard to The Audiobiography, Novel’s tipped us off that the LP’s June release may be pushed back due to label difficulties; keep your fingers crossed, and be sure to grab a copy of his latest single, Makes You Happy (out now on iTunes).
Listen to More: Novel
Written by richard on 04/15/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.