In installment number four of his “Internet Novelties” series (featured earlier this week), reader-acclaimed singer/songwriter/emcee/producer Novel shouted out the Booth and proceeded to give viewers an inside look at his recording process. If you were wondering how the cut he was working on turned out, well, wonder no longer, because here it is! On this soulful reimagining of Kid CuDi‘s Sky Might Fall (a record CuDi’s performed live, but has not released to the ‘net), Novel sticks closer to the source material than he did on musical ‘sequel’ Song Cry II, but not by much—here, he rebuilds Kanye West‘s hazily ambient production from the ground up, giving his revamp a more organic feel with the addition of some driving piano chords. Of course, the ATL native’s soulful vocals are a far cry from CuDi’s stoneriffic drone, and the rewritten verses are where he truly makes the record his own. Novel’s debut album, The Audiobiography, is currently scheduled to drop this June, though the artist has implied that label issues may delay its release—keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest.
Listen to More: Novel
Written by richard on 04/23/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.