Sometimes, Red Lights mean “stop;” other times they mean “now recording,” or even “low battery.” But this is an R&B song, so, uh, what do you think they represent? Like TLC before him, when ATL-based Renaissance man Novel offers his girl the “red light special,” it’s crystal clear what he has in mind – and, if you’re slow on the uptake, beatsmith Prince Maestro‘s steamy blend of languid percussion and intricately-layered synths should be a big tip-off. While this joint isn’t as organically soulful as many of the exclusive freestyle series alum‘s other highly-acclaimed R&B bangers, his crooned vocals shine as brightly as ever – needless to say, those craving a bedroom burner that stands out from the pack won’t be disappointed. Calligraphy, Novel’s forthcoming studio album, also yet to receive a solid release date, but that doesn’t mean that the artist’s many fans in the Booth will have to go without new tunes for the foreseeable future; before the season’s out, you’ll have his new Legato Blues Summer mixtape in your headphones. In the meantime, keep it locked!
Written by richard on 07/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.