Sometimes, Red Lights mean “stop;” other times they mean “now recording,” or even “low battery.” But this is an R&B song, so, uh, what do you think they represent? Like TLC before him, when ATL-based Renaissance man Novel offers his girl the “red light special,” it’s crystal clear what he has in mind – and, if you’re slow on the uptake, beatsmith Prince Maestro‘s steamy blend of languid percussion and intricately-layered synths should be a big tip-off. While this joint isn’t as organically soulful as many of the exclusive freestyle series alum‘s other highly-acclaimed R&B bangers, his crooned vocals shine as brightly as ever – needless to say, those craving a bedroom burner that stands out from the pack won’t be disappointed. Calligraphy, Novel’s forthcoming studio album, also yet to receive a solid release date, but that doesn’t mean that the artist’s many fans in the Booth will have to go without new tunes for the foreseeable future; before the season’s out, you’ll have his new Legato Blues Summer mixtape in your headphones. In the meantime, keep it locked!
Written by richard on 07/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.