No, your mind isn’t playing tricks on you—if Novel‘s latest Booth feature sounds eerily familiar, that’s probably because you have heard it before. Making its online premiere in the Booth, album standout No More finds the perennial reader fave putting his own stamp on Time [Frost], a slow-burning breakup jam originally featured on Muzi‘s DJBooth-sponsored Somnolence street album. While Shoeden1!‘s instrumental, an atmospheric synth arrangement sampled from “Witch House” ensemble SALEM, is retained along with with Muzi’s chorus, Alonso Stevenson makes a few subtle but effective tweaks, notably switching out the previous rendition’s restless percussion rhythm for something more subtly driving. What doesn’t change, needless to say, is the record’s emotional force. As usual, the ATL Renaissance musician (and freestyle series inaugurator) delivers his verses with soul, sweep and nuance. This cathartic cover/reworking and much more can be found on Novel’s Calligraphy LP, available via iTunes as of Nov. 14. Fans should also watch for the artist’s next video (either No More or Low) to debut soon.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.