I don’t know about the rest of y’all, but I find it oddly reassuring that even someone as smooth, confident and emotionally mature as Novel can be just as much of a basket case as the rest of us when it comes to obsessing over exes. On the other hand, if he’s having trouble keeping it together, what hope is there for the rest of us? However you slice it, new mixtape single/video Nightcall finds the Booth-acclaimed singer/songwriter/rapper-producer in a position that most of us have occupied at one time or another. Flowing over a downbeat, synth-driven instrumental borrowed from French electro-house producer Kavinjsky‘s Nightcall, Novel gathers his thoughts regarding a woman who recently walked out of his life. Though he admits, “I’d probably make a better living if I focused on the game,” he can’t seem to stop mentally rehashing the fights, the lies, and the late-night text battles that led up to their split. Moody yet cathartic, this cut is just one of many fresh, creative jams to be found on the artist’s Red Wine & Ambien tape. Keep it locked for the latest on the project, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 03/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.