The word “autobiography” almost always implies a success story—if you were focusing on your tragic personal failures, you’d be writing a memoir, right? Knowing that the official debut single is a crucial chapter in any musical success story, Booth favorite Novel is jump-starting his own Audiobiography with a catchy, radio-ready love song. Over DJ Toomp and JayMac‘s romantic, string-driven instrumental, the multitalented musician puts on his “R&B singer” hat to let a special lady know he’ll do anything, “...if it Makes You Happy.” Though those familiar with cuts like the poetic I Am may be a little disappointed to hear the ATL native resort to head-scratching lines like, “You’re so Shakespearean/ Like a textbook love.” (As we saw back in February, he can freestyle better lyrics than that), the soulful, subtly-Autotuned melody and soaring falsetto he brings to the single should net him plenty of new fans, and heighten anticipation for his debut LP’s June release.
Written by richard on 03/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.