The word “autobiography” almost always implies a success story—if you were focusing on your tragic personal failures, you’d be writing a memoir, right? Knowing that the official debut single is a crucial chapter in any musical success story, Booth favorite Novel is jump-starting his own Audiobiography with a catchy, radio-ready love song. Over DJ Toomp and JayMac‘s romantic, string-driven instrumental, the multitalented musician puts on his “R&B singer” hat to let a special lady know he’ll do anything, “...if it Makes You Happy.” Though those familiar with cuts like the poetic I Am may be a little disappointed to hear the ATL native resort to head-scratching lines like, “You’re so Shakespearean/ Like a textbook love.” (As we saw back in February, he can freestyle better lyrics than that), the soulful, subtly-Autotuned melody and soaring falsetto he brings to the single should net him plenty of new fans, and heighten anticipation for his debut LP’s June release.
Written by richard on 03/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.