On New Year’s Day, 22-year-old Oakland, California native Oscar Grant III was shot to death by a police officer responding to reports of men fighting on a Bay Area Rapid Transit train. The senselessness of the killing, compounded by the fact that Grant was lying face-down on the train platform when he was shot, spurred local protests and proceeded to spark outrage on a national level. In response to the tragedy, Atlanta emcee/singer/songwriter Novel has recorded a new record entitled Mad World. Taking inspiration from Gary Jules’ cover of the Tears for Fears song of the same name, Novel expresses his sorrow and confusion in sung and then rapped verses, addressing the unpleasant social and economic realities that force many Americans to live in fear and uncertainty. Mad World is not set to appear on any commercial release, but fans can look forward to the arrival of Novel’s debut album, The Audiobiography in March of this year.
Listen to More: Novel
Written by richard on 01/8/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.