On New Year’s Day, 22-year-old Oakland, California native Oscar Grant III was shot to death by a police officer responding to reports of men fighting on a Bay Area Rapid Transit train. The senselessness of the killing, compounded by the fact that Grant was lying face-down on the train platform when he was shot, spurred local protests and proceeded to spark outrage on a national level. In response to the tragedy, Atlanta emcee/singer/songwriter Novel has recorded a new record entitled Mad World. Taking inspiration from Gary Jules’ cover of the Tears for Fears song of the same name, Novel expresses his sorrow and confusion in sung and then rapped verses, addressing the unpleasant social and economic realities that force many Americans to live in fear and uncertainty. Mad World is not set to appear on any commercial release, but fans can look forward to the arrival of Novel’s debut album, The Audiobiography in March of this year.
Listen to More: Novel Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.