On New Year’s Day, 22-year-old Oakland, California native Oscar Grant III was shot to death by a police officer responding to reports of men fighting on a Bay Area Rapid Transit train. The senselessness of the killing, compounded by the fact that Grant was lying face-down on the train platform when he was shot, spurred local protests and proceeded to spark outrage on a national level. In response to the tragedy, Atlanta emcee/singer/songwriter Novel has recorded a new record entitled Mad World. Taking inspiration from Gary Jules’ cover of the Tears for Fears song of the same name, Novel expresses his sorrow and confusion in sung and then rapped verses, addressing the unpleasant social and economic realities that force many Americans to live in fear and uncertainty. Mad World is not set to appear on any commercial release, but fans can look forward to the arrival of Novel’s debut album, The Audiobiography in March of this year.
Listen to More: Novel
Written by richard on 01/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.