On New Year’s Day, 22-year-old Oakland, California native Oscar Grant III was shot to death by a police officer responding to reports of men fighting on a Bay Area Rapid Transit train. The senselessness of the killing, compounded by the fact that Grant was lying face-down on the train platform when he was shot, spurred local protests and proceeded to spark outrage on a national level. In response to the tragedy, Atlanta emcee/singer/songwriter Novel has recorded a new record entitled Mad World. Taking inspiration from Gary Jules’ cover of the Tears for Fears song of the same name, Novel expresses his sorrow and confusion in sung and then rapped verses, addressing the unpleasant social and economic realities that force many Americans to live in fear and uncertainty. Mad World is not set to appear on any commercial release, but fans can look forward to the arrival of Novel’s debut album, The Audiobiography in March of this year.
Written by richard on 01/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.