I’m a Novel fan, and if you’re a DJBooth regular, you are too. The Los Angeles based singer/songwriter/producer has earned a name for himself in the industry, and on our pages, for consistently dropping quality music. Unfortunately, his debut album has yet to see the light of day - due to all those pesky music business problems – but he hasn’t let that deter him from releasing new music like Hood Chick. On his latest offering the DJBooth Freestyle veteran employs his smooth, eclectic style to sooth all his listeners into a state of sedated bliss. Produced by the headliner himself and Tony Reyes, the song layers bass grooves and synthesizer rifts that make this a very easy listen, while Little Brother alum Rapper Big Pooh gives hip-hop fans a couple of bars to add edge to the easy-going track; which I personally think wasn’t necessarily need, but still welcomed. Bottom line, Hood Chick is a must listen and is set to be featured on Novel’s upcoming album Calligraphy, coming soon. Let’s hope the last part of that sentence proves to be true.
Written by Jon Garcia on 02/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)