Audiobiography lead single Makes You Happy, which earned praise for its radio-ready production and soulful vocals when it hit the Booth earlier this week, saw Novel narrowing his musical focus to deliver a crowd-pleasing R&B jam. His latest feature, however, is an entirely different animal; Hold On, a cut that didn’t make it onto the forthcoming album, finds the artist living up to his name on two fronts: by telling a story, and by presenting that story in a new and innovative way. Over his own driving, cleverly-sampled beat, Novel takes listeners on a whirlwind tour of African-American history, drawing parallels between the days of slavery, the civil rights movement, and our country’s current social, political, and economic climate. Though this record ended up on the cutting room floor, that should simply raise anticipation for the Novelties in store on The Audiobiography, which is scheduled to drop this June
Written by richard on 03/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.