Audiobiography lead single Makes You Happy, which earned praise for its radio-ready production and soulful vocals when it hit the Booth earlier this week, saw Novel narrowing his musical focus to deliver a crowd-pleasing R&B jam. His latest feature, however, is an entirely different animal; Hold On, a cut that didn’t make it onto the forthcoming album, finds the artist living up to his name on two fronts: by telling a story, and by presenting that story in a new and innovative way. Over his own driving, cleverly-sampled beat, Novel takes listeners on a whirlwind tour of African-American history, drawing parallels between the days of slavery, the civil rights movement, and our country’s current social, political, and economic climate. Though this record ended up on the cutting room floor, that should simply raise anticipation for the Novelties in store on The Audiobiography, which is scheduled to drop this June
Listen to More: Novel
Written by richard on 03/4/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)