Following last Tuesday’s Presidential Election, the Booth has been bombarded with celebratory music from many of today’s most popular artists. One of the best submissions from this crop comes courtesy of Atlanta rapper/singer Novel and Brooklyn free agent Joell Ortiz, who have teamed up over a previously-used J. Dilla production (adding samples from Obama’s acceptance speech in Grant Park) to express how overjoyed they are that children of African-American descent can now grow up knowing, “I Can Be President.” Though some of our members have been critical about the overwhelmingly high number of features regarding the past election, songs like I Can Be President reinforce the fact that Obama’s victory was a historic moment. Novel’s debut album, The Autobiography, is set for release next March, but you can get a taste of his skills later this month (11/25) by picking up a copy of his brand new EP.
Written by Kevin L. Clark on 11/10/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.