Following last Tuesday’s Presidential Election, the Booth has been bombarded with celebratory music from many of today’s most popular artists. One of the best submissions from this crop comes courtesy of Atlanta rapper/singer Novel and Brooklyn free agent Joell Ortiz, who have teamed up over a previously-used J. Dilla production (adding samples from Obama’s acceptance speech in Grant Park) to express how overjoyed they are that children of African-American descent can now grow up knowing, “I Can Be President.” Though some of our members have been critical about the overwhelmingly high number of features regarding the past election, songs like I Can Be President reinforce the fact that Obama’s victory was a historic moment. Novel’s debut album, The Autobiography, is set for release next March, but you can get a taste of his skills later this month (11/25) by picking up a copy of his brand new EP.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.