Following last Tuesday’s Presidential Election, the Booth has been bombarded with celebratory music from many of today’s most popular artists. One of the best submissions from this crop comes courtesy of Atlanta rapper/singer Novel and Brooklyn free agent Joell Ortiz, who have teamed up over a previously-used J. Dilla production (adding samples from Obama’s acceptance speech in Grant Park) to express how overjoyed they are that children of African-American descent can now grow up knowing, “I Can Be President.” Though some of our members have been critical about the overwhelmingly high number of features regarding the past election, songs like I Can Be President reinforce the fact that Obama’s victory was a historic moment. Novel’s debut album, The Autobiography, is set for release next March, but you can get a taste of his skills later this month (11/25) by picking up a copy of his brand new EP.
Written by Kevin L. Clark on 11/10/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.