Following last Tuesday’s Presidential Election, the Booth has been bombarded with celebratory music from many of today’s most popular artists. One of the best submissions from this crop comes courtesy of Atlanta rapper/singer Novel and Brooklyn free agent Joell Ortiz, who have teamed up over a previously-used J. Dilla production (adding samples from Obama’s acceptance speech in Grant Park) to express how overjoyed they are that children of African-American descent can now grow up knowing, “I Can Be President.” Though some of our members have been critical about the overwhelmingly high number of features regarding the past election, songs like I Can Be President reinforce the fact that Obama’s victory was a historic moment. Novel’s debut album, The Autobiography, is set for release next March, but you can get a taste of his skills later this month (11/25) by picking up a copy of his brand new EP.
Written by Kevin L. Clark on 11/10/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.