At the risk of sounding really, really pretentious, I’m going to kick this one off with a reference to the most acclaimed book nobody’s read: James Joyce’s Ulysses (I made it 150 pages before my brain gave out). If Booth-acclaimed jack-of-all-trades Novel were a character from a novel, he might be Joyce’s Stephen Dedalus, a young, talented artist torn between questions of love, money and authenticity—to paraphrase a famous line, the music industry’s a nightmare from which he’s trying to wake up. Though label politics have left the ATL native feeling like he’s stuck in Suspended Animation, these frustrations only seem to have strengthened his artistic vision. The title track (and first official leak) off his forthcoming mixtape finds him mining his disillusionment with the game for inspiration, delivering rapped verses and a sung hook over his own densely-layered blend of fingerpicked guitar, synth arpeggios, and soulful backing vocals. Complete with an equally insightful guest verse by Virginia Beach rapper/producer Ced Hughes, this thought-provoking cut is sure to strike a chord with Booth readers—and if all the material on the Novel’s forthcoming mixtape (due out July 4th) is this strong, it’s a good bet that his story will soon take a turn for the better.
Written by richard on 06/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.