Place a bunch of new hip-hop songs in a hat, close your eyes, and pick one. Chances are good that you’ve selected a song about money, cars, b*tches or something that includes a dance; rarely will you find a jam that sounds like pure poetry. In an interview with DJ Booth, singer/rapper/producer Novel described himself as a well-rounded artist and promised that his upcoming debut, The Audiobiography, would be anything but the norm. On his new song, I Am, Novel uses his sharp rhymes, complemented by fellow lyrically-nimble MCs Talib Kweli and Spree Wilson, to craft a truly poetic jam. Interpolating a classic rock sample on the beat, I Am should make for an oft-cited page of Novel’s Audiobiography; look for the complete version in the third quarter of ‘08.
Written by Burmy on 04/28/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.