Unfortunately for Novel‘s many fans in the Booth (myself included), the label troubles alluded to in previous features have led to a split with Capitol, and his debut album has been pushed back yet again; currently, its drop date is TBA. Though that news is bound to leave quite a few readers disappointed, there’s no better way to deal with the blues than putting on some good music, and this track is just that—in fact, I’ll go so far as to say that this cut, making its online premiere here in the Booth, is some of the Novel’s best work to date. Addressing a woman who’s done him wrong, he states that, though it breaks his heart to say goodbye, “I just can’t let you F*ck With My Mind.” The ATL singer/songwriter/rapper/producer delivers the soulful goods as few can, and Dallas Austin‘s production backs his poignant vocals with a fittingly melancholy mix of vintage organ tones and subdued percussion—if this record doesn’t tug at your heartstrings, well, I’m not sure what will. If you’re a fan of the multitalented up-and-comer, keep it locked to the Booth for further details on The Audiobiography‘s release status, as well as all the latest tunes.
Written by richard on 05/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.