Novel’s never been one to shy away from revealing the details of his personal life – name another artist who puts out songs about his depression prone mother – but on the ATL to L.A. singer, producer, songrwriter original DJBooth Freestyler’s new album Grant Me Serenity he truly lets down his guard and lets listeners inside the mind and soul of a troubled artist. Case in point; standout selection Celebrate, a record whose mood couldn’t be farther away from its title (unless your idea of a celebration is drowning your sorrows alone at the bar). Produced, of course, by the headliner himself, Celebrate opens with slowly dripping percussion that’s quickly wrapped in gauzy synths and atmospheric touches. It’s a minimalistic approach that puts a lot of pressure on Novel to vocally and lyrically deliver but thankfully he’s more than up to the task, even bringing on feature artist Muzi for a rapped/sung/spoken guest spot. It won’t be the album that sets off your house party this Friday night, but fans of innovative, creative R&B will find plenty to celebrate on Grant Me Serenity, available for free download here.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.