Novel’s never been one to shy away from revealing the details of his personal life – name another artist who puts out songs about his depression prone mother – but on the ATL to L.A. singer, producer, songrwriter original DJBooth Freestyler’s new album Grant Me Serenity he truly lets down his guard and lets listeners inside the mind and soul of a troubled artist. Case in point; standout selection Celebrate, a record whose mood couldn’t be farther away from its title (unless your idea of a celebration is drowning your sorrows alone at the bar). Produced, of course, by the headliner himself, Celebrate opens with slowly dripping percussion that’s quickly wrapped in gauzy synths and atmospheric touches. It’s a minimalistic approach that puts a lot of pressure on Novel to vocally and lyrically deliver but thankfully he’s more than up to the task, even bringing on feature artist Muzi for a rapped/sung/spoken guest spot. It won’t be the album that sets off your house party this Friday night, but fans of innovative, creative R&B will find plenty to celebrate on Grant Me Serenity, available for free download here.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)