Last night, ATL phenom and longtime friend of the Booth Novel took home his first Grammy for his songwriting contributions to Lecrae‘s Gravity LP, this year’s winner for Best Gospel Album. Fittingly, his latest feature finds him reworking a record by a fellow reader fave who would have received a trophy if his album had dropped a month earlier. I’m talking, of course, about Kendrick Lamar, whose B**tch Don’t Kill My Vibe gets a soulful makeover on Novel’s latest promo single. Justin Kahler, Alex Naylor and Tony Reyes rebuild the record’s Sounwave-produced beat from the ground up, ornamenting the central riff with added guitar work and a complexified bassline as the artist offers a smooth reinterpretation of Lamar’s lyrics. This cover isn’t part of a larger project, but those who like what they’re hearing can click here to peep a behind-the-scenes video of its creation.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.