Last night, ATL phenom and longtime friend of the Booth Novel took home his first Grammy for his songwriting contributions to Lecrae‘s Gravity LP, this year’s winner for Best Gospel Album. Fittingly, his latest feature finds him reworking a record by a fellow reader fave who would have received a trophy if his album had dropped a month earlier. I’m talking, of course, about Kendrick Lamar, whose B**tch Don’t Kill My Vibe gets a soulful makeover on Novel’s latest promo single. Justin Kahler, Alex Naylor and Tony Reyes rebuild the record’s Sounwave-produced beat from the ground up, ornamenting the central riff with added guitar work and a complexified bassline as the artist offers a smooth reinterpretation of Lamar’s lyrics. This cover isn’t part of a larger project, but those who like what they’re hearing can click here to peep a behind-the-scenes video of its creation.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.