Last night, ATL phenom and longtime friend of the Booth Novel took home his first Grammy for his songwriting contributions to Lecrae‘s Gravity LP, this year’s winner for Best Gospel Album. Fittingly, his latest feature finds him reworking a record by a fellow reader fave who would have received a trophy if his album had dropped a month earlier. I’m talking, of course, about Kendrick Lamar, whose B**tch Don’t Kill My Vibe gets a soulful makeover on Novel’s latest promo single. Justin Kahler, Alex Naylor and Tony Reyes rebuild the record’s Sounwave-produced beat from the ground up, ornamenting the central riff with added guitar work and a complexified bassline as the artist offers a smooth reinterpretation of Lamar’s lyrics. This cover isn’t part of a larger project, but those who like what they’re hearing can click here to peep a behind-the-scenes video of its creation.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.