Last night, ATL phenom and longtime friend of the Booth Novel took home his first Grammy for his songwriting contributions to Lecrae‘s Gravity LP, this year’s winner for Best Gospel Album. Fittingly, his latest feature finds him reworking a record by a fellow reader fave who would have received a trophy if his album had dropped a month earlier. I’m talking, of course, about Kendrick Lamar, whose B**tch Don’t Kill My Vibe gets a soulful makeover on Novel’s latest promo single. Justin Kahler, Alex Naylor and Tony Reyes rebuild the record’s Sounwave-produced beat from the ground up, ornamenting the central riff with added guitar work and a complexified bassline as the artist offers a smooth reinterpretation of Lamar’s lyrics. This cover isn’t part of a larger project, but those who like what they’re hearing can click here to peep a behind-the-scenes video of its creation.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.