Last night, ATL phenom and longtime friend of the Booth Novel took home his first Grammy for his songwriting contributions to Lecrae‘s Gravity LP, this year’s winner for Best Gospel Album. Fittingly, his latest feature finds him reworking a record by a fellow reader fave who would have received a trophy if his album had dropped a month earlier. I’m talking, of course, about Kendrick Lamar, whose B**tch Don’t Kill My Vibe gets a soulful makeover on Novel’s latest promo single. Justin Kahler, Alex Naylor and Tony Reyes rebuild the record’s Sounwave-produced beat from the ground up, ornamenting the central riff with added guitar work and a complexified bassline as the artist offers a smooth reinterpretation of Lamar’s lyrics. This cover isn’t part of a larger project, but those who like what they’re hearing can click here to peep a behind-the-scenes video of its creation.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.