Novel continues his quest for change as he teams up with Joell Ortiz for Body Down pt. 2. The track is a follow-up to Body Down, off of his Grant Me Serenity mixtape, and again uses the Jack Peñate track as a backdrop for this sinister, and interestingly optimistic analysis on how detrimental life forces can negatively affect a person’s potential. The strength in this song sequel lies in Joell’s aggressive flow and compelling story-telling meshed with Novel’s smooth chorus. The track features two main protagonists: the first is that of young male whose absent family, lack of positive role models, and ineffective schooling eventually drive him to the destructive culture of street violence, theft, and drugs. The second is that of a female whose past of rape and incest force her into the plight of young single motherhood. These multi-layered issues paint a depressing picture, but Novel ends on a note of hope, calling us to, “change the world before we’re six feet under the ground.” Body Down pt.2 will be featured on Novel and Joell’s forthcoming sequel to their Defying the Predictable tape, which we released last year.
Written by Sandra Manzanares on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.