Novel continues his quest for change as he teams up with Joell Ortiz for Body Down pt. 2. The track is a follow-up to Body Down, off of his Grant Me Serenity mixtape, and again uses the Jack Peñate track as a backdrop for this sinister, and interestingly optimistic analysis on how detrimental life forces can negatively affect a person’s potential. The strength in this song sequel lies in Joell’s aggressive flow and compelling story-telling meshed with Novel’s smooth chorus. The track features two main protagonists: the first is that of young male whose absent family, lack of positive role models, and ineffective schooling eventually drive him to the destructive culture of street violence, theft, and drugs. The second is that of a female whose past of rape and incest force her into the plight of young single motherhood. These multi-layered issues paint a depressing picture, but Novel ends on a note of hope, calling us to, “change the world before we’re six feet under the ground.” Body Down pt.2 will be featured on Novel and Joell’s forthcoming sequel to their Defying the Predictable tape, which we released last year.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.