Novel continues his quest for change as he teams up with Joell Ortiz for Body Down pt. 2. The track is a follow-up to Body Down, off of his Grant Me Serenity mixtape, and again uses the Jack Peñate track as a backdrop for this sinister, and interestingly optimistic analysis on how detrimental life forces can negatively affect a person’s potential. The strength in this song sequel lies in Joell’s aggressive flow and compelling story-telling meshed with Novel’s smooth chorus. The track features two main protagonists: the first is that of young male whose absent family, lack of positive role models, and ineffective schooling eventually drive him to the destructive culture of street violence, theft, and drugs. The second is that of a female whose past of rape and incest force her into the plight of young single motherhood. These multi-layered issues paint a depressing picture, but Novel ends on a note of hope, calling us to, “change the world before we’re six feet under the ground.” Body Down pt.2 will be featured on Novel and Joell’s forthcoming sequel to their Defying the Predictable tape, which we released last year.
Written by Sandra Manzanares on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.