I know I’ve lied to y’all many times before, but this time I swear it’s true: Novel‘s latest mixtape leak is not what you’d expect from the title. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend flipping it on in the bedroom unless you’re looking to spend the evening in deep conversation regarding life, death and the hereafter. If you are in the mood for a little existential meditation, however, Body Down may be just what the doctor ordered. A remix of a joint off Jack Peñate’s 2009 Everything Is New LP, this joint finds the ATL-repping Booth fave (and freestyle series alum) flipping the English singer-songwriter’s moody rock instrumental into a backdrop for his soulful reflections on the fleeting nature of human life. Though he acknowledges the seeming arbitrariness of fate (“Why do the good die young, and why do the bad live?”), he refuses to be paralyzed in the face of his mortality, resolving that “We’ve gotta change the world before we’re six feet under the ground.” Novel has yet to reveal his further plans for this insightful banger; in the meantime, though, fans can find plenty more where this came from on the artist’s acclaimed Grant Me Serenity mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 07/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fighters (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.