Ever feel like there’s something, you know, missing.... but can’t quite put your finger on what? Nottz has a hypothesis as to what might be causing this nagging feeling of unfulfillment—namely, a serious deficit of real, high-quality urban music—and, as a heavyweight record producer and emcee, the Virginia representative is in the perfect position to fill that void. On You Need This Music (Remix), a newly-leaked standout cut off his forthcoming solo EP, he does just that, hooking up with a few of his most talented homies to give heads their recommended daily allowance of Vitamin D(ope), with none of the corporate additives. Here, the headliner’s breezy, string-laced sample work bangs in the background as he declares his independence from the payola-driven paradigm of mainstream rap. G.O.O.D rhymesayer Pusha T guests, describing how he achieved financial security without capitulating to music-industry demands on verse two, and singer Dwele raises a soulful middle finger to the suits on the chorus. Feeling this fresh and authentic indie anthem? More awaits on In My Mind, dropping tomorrow (June 5) and available now for pre-order on iTunes.
Written by richard on 06/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Hide the Truth ft. Kardinal Offishall & Cory Gunz" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.