On his Booth debut as an artist (he’s been featured numerous times on the production tip), Nottz makes an announcement to all up-and-comers looking to build their careers on cheap imitations of Hov, Biggie, 2pac, Nas, or Big Pun: “You Can’t Hide The Truth. After Nottz’ opening verse, in which he affirms his individuality and urges rappers to quit jockin’ Jay’s fresh, guest artists Kardinal Offishall and Cory Gunz jump in to back him up, stating that, though they’ve taken inspiration from legends living and dead, they’ve got too much respect for their idols to simply rip them off. A few cleverly-applied samples of Tina Turner’s We Don’t Need Another Hero (the theme from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome) form the backbone of Nottz’ instrumental, which also incorporates snippets from the aforementioned greats. Though Can’t Hide the Truth is only a promo single, it proves that the producer also has a lot to say on the mic – will he be the next high-profile beatsmith to successfully make a name for himself as an artist?
Written by richard on 02/18/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mighty Floe Young" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.