On his Booth debut as an artist (he’s been featured numerous times on the production tip), Nottz makes an announcement to all up-and-comers looking to build their careers on cheap imitations of Hov, Biggie, 2pac, Nas, or Big Pun: “You Can’t Hide The Truth. After Nottz’ opening verse, in which he affirms his individuality and urges rappers to quit jockin’ Jay’s fresh, guest artists Kardinal Offishall and Cory Gunz jump in to back him up, stating that, though they’ve taken inspiration from legends living and dead, they’ve got too much respect for their idols to simply rip them off. A few cleverly-applied samples of Tina Turner’s We Don’t Need Another Hero (the theme from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome) form the backbone of Nottz’ instrumental, which also incorporates snippets from the aforementioned greats. Though Can’t Hide the Truth is only a promo single, it proves that the producer also has a lot to say on the mic – will he be the next high-profile beatsmith to successfully make a name for himself as an artist?
Written by richard on 02/18/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mighty Floe Young" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.