Since spitting about his dealings with the Man Downstairs on June’s Bargain With the Devil, Notion‘s been eerily quiet. Could it be… could Old Scratch already have come to collect the Seattle repper’s immortal soul?! Thankfully, that’s not the case—on his latest effort, the up-and-comer’s escaped from his Faustian pact and thrown in his lot with a considerably less treacherous religious/mythological figure. On Zeused UP, Notion uses the Greek King of the Gods to represent a downright superhuman feeling of well-being. Those who aren’t hypnotized by DJ Jacks Green‘s beat, a blissfully mellow blend of slow-rolling percussion and liquid guitar riffs, will find that the emcee’s bars aren’t so much a celebration of his superhuman abilities, but reflect his acceptance of life’s ceaseless changes—from the inexorable march of time to the inevitable rise and fall of close friendships. Capped off with a dazzling chopped-and-screwed outro (featuring cuts by DJ Rise), this jam is as fitting for a solo headphone session as for an early-fall barbecue (with or without “pages from The Stranger” on the grill). Though this joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it should keep it locked for all the latest from the Northwestern buzzmaker.
Written by richard on 09/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bargain With The Devil" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.