Since spitting about his dealings with the Man Downstairs on June’s Bargain With the Devil, Notion‘s been eerily quiet. Could it be… could Old Scratch already have come to collect the Seattle repper’s immortal soul?! Thankfully, that’s not the case—on his latest effort, the up-and-comer’s escaped from his Faustian pact and thrown in his lot with a considerably less treacherous religious/mythological figure. On Zeused UP, Notion uses the Greek King of the Gods to represent a downright superhuman feeling of well-being. Those who aren’t hypnotized by DJ Jacks Green‘s beat, a blissfully mellow blend of slow-rolling percussion and liquid guitar riffs, will find that the emcee’s bars aren’t so much a celebration of his superhuman abilities, but reflect his acceptance of life’s ceaseless changes—from the inexorable march of time to the inevitable rise and fall of close friendships. Capped off with a dazzling chopped-and-screwed outro (featuring cuts by DJ Rise), this jam is as fitting for a solo headphone session as for an early-fall barbecue (with or without “pages from The Stranger” on the grill). Though this joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it should keep it locked for all the latest from the Northwestern buzzmaker.
Written by richard on 09/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bargain With The Devil" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.