Based on the aggressive underground style they’ve exhibited throughout their Booth career to date, Notes to Self aren’t the first rap crew you’d expect to see kicking it with elementary-schoolers as they perform a record about the importance of following your dreams. On the T-Dot trio’s latest video single, however, they do just that—and sound dope while doing it. Sky Light [InBetween] finds Notes beatsmith BronzeOne and Beatface representative Book serving up a head-noddable synth/sample instrumental (complete with cuts by DJ Dopey) as Roshin and Swamp Donkey send a simple but powerful message to all listening: “You must aim high.” Benjamin Young Hart directs the (adorable) official visuals, co-starring his younger sister’s fourth-grade class. For Sky Light, the recently-featured Popular Music and more, cop the crew’s Target Market [RECOIL] when it drops February 26, via DECON.
Written by richard on 02/8/13
Toronto underground hip-hop crew Notes to Self have made their latest studio album, Target Market [RECOIL], available for free streaming in The DJBooth. The DECON-distributed project packs nine original jams (plus three...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lick Shots" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)