Based on the aggressive underground style they’ve exhibited throughout their Booth career to date, Notes to Self aren’t the first rap crew you’d expect to see kicking it with elementary-schoolers as they perform a record about the importance of following your dreams. On the T-Dot trio’s latest video single, however, they do just that—and sound dope while doing it. Sky Light [InBetween] finds Notes beatsmith BronzeOne and Beatface representative Book serving up a head-noddable synth/sample instrumental (complete with cuts by DJ Dopey) as Roshin and Swamp Donkey send a simple but powerful message to all listening: “You must aim high.” Benjamin Young Hart directs the (adorable) official visuals, co-starring his younger sister’s fourth-grade class. For Sky Light, the recently-featured Popular Music and more, cop the crew’s Target Market [RECOIL] when it drops February 26, via DECON.
Written by richard on 02/8/13
Toronto underground hip-hop crew Notes to Self have made their latest studio album, Target Market [RECOIL], available for free streaming in The DJBooth. The DECON-distributed project packs nine original jams (plus three...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lick Shots" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.