Based on the aggressive underground style they’ve exhibited throughout their Booth career to date, Notes to Self aren’t the first rap crew you’d expect to see kicking it with elementary-schoolers as they perform a record about the importance of following your dreams. On the T-Dot trio’s latest video single, however, they do just that—and sound dope while doing it. Sky Light [InBetween] finds Notes beatsmith BronzeOne and Beatface representative Book serving up a head-noddable synth/sample instrumental (complete with cuts by DJ Dopey) as Roshin and Swamp Donkey send a simple but powerful message to all listening: “You must aim high.” Benjamin Young Hart directs the (adorable) official visuals, co-starring his younger sister’s fourth-grade class. For Sky Light, the recently-featured Popular Music and more, cop the crew’s Target Market [RECOIL] when it drops February 26, via DECON.
Written by richard on 02/8/13
Toronto underground hip-hop crew Notes to Self have made their latest studio album, Target Market [RECOIL], available for free streaming in The DJBooth. The DECON-distributed project packs nine original jams (plus three...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lick Shots" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.