Don’t let the title of Notes to Self‘s latest single scare you; the T-Dot crew haven’t traded in boom-bap beats and aggressive bars for Autotuned hooks and club rhythms since dropping off their last feature back in December 2011. In reality, this record is not an imitation, but a bruising lyrical indictment of what passes for Popular Music these days. Over crew member Bronze One and Beatface producer Book‘s bass-bumping percussion and eerie bell loops, rhymesayers Swamp Donkey and Roshin showcase the skills that set them apart from every other rapper on the block. Sure to earn acclaim from the group’s target audience of “backpackers and gat-packers,” this joint is just a foretaste of the dopeness in store on Notes to Self’s Target Market [RECOIL] LP, due out February 26, via DECON.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Notes to Self’s RUFFMERCY-animated Popular Music visual.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lick Shots" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. A$AP Ferg - Lac Lac
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- Lupe Fiasco x Ab-Soul - Thorns & Horns
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.