Toronto has, in recent days, been associated with pop progressives like Drake and The Weeknd, but don’t get it twisted; bubbling beneath the surface of Canada’s foremost metropolis is a powerful movement dedicated to carrying on the banner of “real hip-hop.” Don’t believe me? Simply take a listen to Lick Shots, the latest single from local crew Notes to Self, for proof that the spirit of the genre is alive and kicking in T-Dot. DJ Babu of Dilated Peoples fame handles production duties, serving up a bombastically gritty sampled groove accented by authentic, old-school cuts. Notes’ mic-rocking contingent, Roshin, Bronze One and the hilariously-named Swamp Donkey, come with lyrical flames to match, making clear that, to them, hip-hop is much more than a fly style: “I’m good, thanks for asking / I live this sh*t, to y’all it’s just fashion / Actin’ like a pair of shoes could save your life—that’s not a parachute, it’s a pair ‘a Nikes.” Craving more hot beats and rhymes? It Used To Be Dark (Recoil) is set to hit stores and online retailers in November—if you don’t trust your memory, why not leave yourself a note?
Written by richard on 09/29/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mr. Polite" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.