Toronto has, in recent days, been associated with pop progressives like Drake and The Weeknd, but don’t get it twisted; bubbling beneath the surface of Canada’s foremost metropolis is a powerful movement dedicated to carrying on the banner of “real hip-hop.” Don’t believe me? Simply take a listen to Lick Shots, the latest single from local crew Notes to Self, for proof that the spirit of the genre is alive and kicking in T-Dot. DJ Babu of Dilated Peoples fame handles production duties, serving up a bombastically gritty sampled groove accented by authentic, old-school cuts. Notes’ mic-rocking contingent, Roshin, Bronze One and the hilariously-named Swamp Donkey, come with lyrical flames to match, making clear that, to them, hip-hop is much more than a fly style: “I’m good, thanks for asking / I live this sh*t, to y’all it’s just fashion / Actin’ like a pair of shoes could save your life—that’s not a parachute, it’s a pair ‘a Nikes.” Craving more hot beats and rhymes? It Used To Be Dark (Recoil) is set to hit stores and online retailers in November—if you don’t trust your memory, why not leave yourself a note?
Written by richard on 09/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mr. Polite" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.