In the opening lines of Superthug, the hit second single off his debut solo set, N.O.R.E. famously (and bizarrely) claimed that The Neptunes owned a cocker spaniel—an accusation which, as he later clarified, was intended as a comment on the producers’ sexuality. Though his next full-length is no longer named after the ‘98 smash or the album to which it belongs, the Northeastern vet does return to the subject of the duo’s pet ownership on new single The Problem (Lawwwd), doubling down on his statement of more than a decade ago. Evidently, Pharrell Williams isn’t taking it personally; in addition to producing this record’s grainy arpeggiated-synth instrumental, he steps out from behind the boards to deliver an Auto-Tuned hook. You’ll be able to find The Problem, last July’s reader-approved Gangstas Don’t Die and much more on Student of the Game, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers April 16.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Name Is N.O." (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.