Ah, Electrolytes... they got me through many a difficult morning back in the day. As it turns out, that’s something (possibly the only thing) that I have in common with N.O.R.E., who pays tribute to the rehydrating/hangover-easing properties of ionic solutions on his latest album leak. Premiered yesterday on Funkmaster Flex‘s Hot 97 program, the record follows the Big Apple street mainstay as he works up a sweat on his paper chase—breaking only to pick up a Gatorade at the corner store. Over beatsmith Caviar‘s gritty boom-bap instrumental, featuring the ever-popular opening break from Bob James’ rendition of Take Me to the Mardi Gras, Noreaga delivers his trademark brand of street lyricism, going heavy on the inventive braggadocio (“My name hold weight like bobybuilders / You n*ggas ain’t killers, you’re caterpillars.”) and even offering his (slightly tardy) support for a certain Fugees member’s political aspirations: “You got my vote: ‘Clef for President.” Topped off with the inimitably sandpapery hook/bridge vocals of Macy Gray, this joint should be just the thing to get devotees amped for the arrival of S.U.P.E.R.T.H.U.G.. Keep it locked for details on the project, which as yet lacks a release date.
Written by richard on 07/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Name Is N.O. " (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.