Its a question that’s been asked since the dawn of time, but never settled: are artistic geniuses—in this case, hip-hop prodigies—made, or are they born? If Noelz’ story is any indication, the answer is “both.” Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Days Go By finds the spitter telling his life (and pre-life) story with a little help from the woman who knows him better than anyone else. With Bravestarr‘s smooth, head-nodic production as a canvas, the Windy City buzzmaker trades autobiographical bars with his own mother. (Before you ask, no, she doesn’t flow.) The result is a fascinating series of snapshots from the artist’s ongoing journey to stardom—from Mrs. Noelz playing her favorite music for him while he was still in the womb, to the precocious, grade-school Noelz, “[envisioning his] big wheel was a Bentley,” to the budding emcee as a teenage ladies’ man. Noelz himself sums it up on the airy hook, “Funny how these days go by…” Feeling this musical trip down Memory Lane? You can find this record, the previously-featured Be Alright and much more on his DJBooth-sponsored The Popular Kid LP, scheduled to hit our front page April 24 for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 04/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be Alright" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- How a Music Video Is Made: A Mock Treatment With Rapsody
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.