Its a question that’s been asked since the dawn of time, but never settled: are artistic geniuses—in this case, hip-hop prodigies—made, or are they born? If Noelz’ story is any indication, the answer is “both.” Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Days Go By finds the spitter telling his life (and pre-life) story with a little help from the woman who knows him better than anyone else. With Bravestarr‘s smooth, head-nodic production as a canvas, the Windy City buzzmaker trades autobiographical bars with his own mother. (Before you ask, no, she doesn’t flow.) The result is a fascinating series of snapshots from the artist’s ongoing journey to stardom—from Mrs. Noelz playing her favorite music for him while he was still in the womb, to the precocious, grade-school Noelz, “[envisioning his] big wheel was a Bentley,” to the budding emcee as a teenage ladies’ man. Noelz himself sums it up on the airy hook, “Funny how these days go by…” Feeling this musical trip down Memory Lane? You can find this record, the previously-featured Be Alright and much more on his DJBooth-sponsored The Popular Kid LP, scheduled to hit our front page April 24 for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 04/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be Alright" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.