The natural evolution of the R&B genre has seen its rhythm component gradually triumph over its counterpart, the blues; singer Noel Gourdin has taken a different approach. While his voice may sound like a mid-90’s R. Kelly, his approach to music is stuck somewhere in the early 70’s, when greats like Al Green and Marvin Gaye ruled the charts with their heartwrenching crooning and down-home melodies. In his debut single, The River (presumably referring to the Mississippi), Gourdin combines the themes of love, loss, and faith to create a track that could be just as readily performed from the pulpit as it could from the club stage. Aided by former Naughty By Nature member Kay Gee, The River and the rest of Gourdin’s debut album, After My Time (out July 22), will surely please vintage R&B fans everywhere.
Listen to More: Noel Gourdin Written by Charlie E.
Mass Appeal Ent./eOne
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Boi ft. A$AP Rocky. Phantogram & A-Ha - Lanes
- BAU Music ft. Action Bronson, A$ton Matthews & J.Rocc - With My Soul
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!