Nneka‘s not the kind of artist that worries about staying hot, or her “buzz,” or releases freestyles over the hot beat of the moment in hopes of seeing her name on the blogs on more time. No, the Nigerian singer/rapper/human etc. only releases new music when she’s convinced its near perfect, so it’s not surprising that it’s been well over a year since her last album, Concrete Jungle, and three months since her last DJBooth feature, the Black Thought assisted God Only Knows. Thankfully, as Nneka’s new single My Home proves, good things come to those who wait. For My Home frequent production partner Farhot crafts a beat as diverse as the headliner, transitioning from reggae to hip-hop to a big band jazz influenced outro section. On the mic Nneka responds in kind, delivering a kind of soul that’s too inherent to be so simply labeled soul. Speaking of which, Nneka’s upcoming album Soul Is Heavy is finally around the corner and set to hit stores on February 28. If you’re looking for music that’s not afraid to truly mean something, look no further.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/18/11
Submit your Rating
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.