Nneka‘s not the kind of artist that worries about staying hot, or her “buzz,” or releases freestyles over the hot beat of the moment in hopes of seeing her name on the blogs on more time. No, the Nigerian singer/rapper/human etc. only releases new music when she’s convinced its near perfect, so it’s not surprising that it’s been well over a year since her last album, Concrete Jungle, and three months since her last DJBooth feature, the Black Thought assisted God Only Knows. Thankfully, as Nneka’s new single My Home proves, good things come to those who wait. For My Home frequent production partner Farhot crafts a beat as diverse as the headliner, transitioning from reggae to hip-hop to a big band jazz influenced outro section. On the mic Nneka responds in kind, delivering a kind of soul that’s too inherent to be so simply labeled soul. Speaking of which, Nneka’s upcoming album Soul Is Heavy is finally around the corner and set to hit stores on February 28. If you’re looking for music that’s not afraid to truly mean something, look no further.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/18/11
Submit your Rating
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.