Nneka‘s not the kind of artist that worries about staying hot, or her “buzz,” or releases freestyles over the hot beat of the moment in hopes of seeing her name on the blogs on more time. No, the Nigerian singer/rapper/human etc. only releases new music when she’s convinced its near perfect, so it’s not surprising that it’s been well over a year since her last album, Concrete Jungle, and three months since her last DJBooth feature, the Black Thought assisted God Only Knows. Thankfully, as Nneka’s new single My Home proves, good things come to those who wait. For My Home frequent production partner Farhot crafts a beat as diverse as the headliner, transitioning from reggae to hip-hop to a big band jazz influenced outro section. On the mic Nneka responds in kind, delivering a kind of soul that’s too inherent to be so simply labeled soul. Speaking of which, Nneka’s upcoming album Soul Is Heavy is finally around the corner and set to hit stores on February 28. If you’re looking for music that’s not afraid to truly mean something, look no further.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/18/11
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)