In further proof that neither life nor the music game are fair, Nneka‘s critically (and Booth-)acclaimed North American debut hasn’t turned the Nigerian-German into a household name on this side of the Atlantic. It did, however, spawn a UK hit in sole single/standout cut Heartbeat, which receives the remix treatment on the singer’s forthcoming EP. Koolkojak‘s contribution to the project (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) finds the Right Round beatsmith refashioning the record into a driving electro-pop scorcher, trading the original’s live piano and drums for a synth-laced groove that builds to a downright blistering four-on-the-floor chorus. Though this overhaul is drenched in club-pop appeal, the remix’s potential to start a revolution on the dance floor doesn’t diminish the impact of Nneka’s urgent pleas for global justice – on the contrary, her impassioned vocals hit harder than ever as she draws attention to those who have been “evaded, eliminated, erased, [and] interrogated.” But enough from me – what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging it, you’ll most definitely want to check out Nneka’s Heartbeat Remix EP when it hits stores Oct. 5.
Written by richard on 10/3/10
Submit your Rating
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.