In further proof that neither life nor the music game are fair, Nneka‘s critically (and Booth-)acclaimed North American debut hasn’t turned the Nigerian-German into a household name on this side of the Atlantic. It did, however, spawn a UK hit in sole single/standout cut Heartbeat, which receives the remix treatment on the singer’s forthcoming EP. Koolkojak‘s contribution to the project (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) finds the Right Round beatsmith refashioning the record into a driving electro-pop scorcher, trading the original’s live piano and drums for a synth-laced groove that builds to a downright blistering four-on-the-floor chorus. Though this overhaul is drenched in club-pop appeal, the remix’s potential to start a revolution on the dance floor doesn’t diminish the impact of Nneka’s urgent pleas for global justice – on the contrary, her impassioned vocals hit harder than ever as she draws attention to those who have been “evaded, eliminated, erased, [and] interrogated.” But enough from me – what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging it, you’ll most definitely want to check out Nneka’s Heartbeat Remix EP when it hits stores Oct. 5.
Written by richard on 10/3/10
Submit your Rating
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.