In further proof that neither life nor the music game are fair, Nneka‘s critically (and Booth-)acclaimed North American debut hasn’t turned the Nigerian-German into a household name on this side of the Atlantic. It did, however, spawn a UK hit in sole single/standout cut Heartbeat, which receives the remix treatment on the singer’s forthcoming EP. Koolkojak‘s contribution to the project (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) finds the Right Round beatsmith refashioning the record into a driving electro-pop scorcher, trading the original’s live piano and drums for a synth-laced groove that builds to a downright blistering four-on-the-floor chorus. Though this overhaul is drenched in club-pop appeal, the remix’s potential to start a revolution on the dance floor doesn’t diminish the impact of Nneka’s urgent pleas for global justice – on the contrary, her impassioned vocals hit harder than ever as she draws attention to those who have been “evaded, eliminated, erased, [and] interrogated.” But enough from me – what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging it, you’ll most definitely want to check out Nneka’s Heartbeat Remix EP when it hits stores Oct. 5.
Written by richard on 10/3/10
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)