It’s been about a year since we’ve heard from Nneka, the singer/rapper whose Concrete Jungle album had me calling her a “harder Alicia Keys or a more hopeful Mos Def, if Mos could actually sing.” (Yep, I really meant that.) In the meantime the Nigerian/German singer has been more than busy touring, working on a new album and fortifying her fan base; a fan base that now includes some hip-hop heavyweights, like, say, Black Thought of the Roots. New lead single God Knows Why owes its expansive sound to producer Farhot, who flips quickly between rap percussion, hard rock edge and more sonic influences than I can name. On the mic Nneka dives head on into her emcee side, delivering her rhymes in her irreplaceably unique accent that aren’t afraid to tackle the big topics (colonialism, religion, politics, etc.), topics we all know Black Thought is no stranger to either: “Self-styled, God’s child in the promised land / staring at a child soldier on a sonogram.” God only knows when Nneka’s sophomore album Soul is Heavy will hit U.S. shores, but the rest of the world can cop it this coming Tuesday, September 27.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/25/11
Submit your Rating
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changes (J. Period Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.