It’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world, and DJBooth newcomer Nneka is using her serious musical talents to chronicle the globe’s madness. A Nigerian born singer who relocated to Germany and is just now beginning to break into the U.S., Nneka is introducing herself to our pages with the politically charged Changes, a softly moving but revolutionary track that refuses to be taken lightly. While producer and frequent collaborator J. Period spins an entrancing beat complete with a Biggie vocal sample, lyrical collaborators General Steele and M-1 (of Dead Prez fame) drop verses aimed at inspiring some truly independent hip-hop thought: “I’m a change maker, like Marcus Garvey in Jamaica.” As far as Nneka is concerned, it’s hard to truly get a read on her skills with only a hook, so all I can say it that I want to hear more. For more globally informed music be sure to check out Nneka’s The Madness (Onye-Ala) Mixtape, slated to set a match to the world on December 15.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/9/09
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Heartbeat (Koolkojak Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.