It’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world, and DJBooth newcomer Nneka is using her serious musical talents to chronicle the globe’s madness. A Nigerian born singer who relocated to Germany and is just now beginning to break into the U.S., Nneka is introducing herself to our pages with the politically charged Changes, a softly moving but revolutionary track that refuses to be taken lightly. While producer and frequent collaborator J. Period spins an entrancing beat complete with a Biggie vocal sample, lyrical collaborators General Steele and M-1 (of Dead Prez fame) drop verses aimed at inspiring some truly independent hip-hop thought: “I’m a change maker, like Marcus Garvey in Jamaica.” As far as Nneka is concerned, it’s hard to truly get a read on her skills with only a hook, so all I can say it that I want to hear more. For more globally informed music be sure to check out Nneka’s The Madness (Onye-Ala) Mixtape, slated to set a match to the world on December 15.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/9/09
Submit your Rating
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Heartbeat (Koolkojak Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.