It’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world, and DJBooth newcomer Nneka is using her serious musical talents to chronicle the globe’s madness. A Nigerian born singer who relocated to Germany and is just now beginning to break into the U.S., Nneka is introducing herself to our pages with the politically charged Changes, a softly moving but revolutionary track that refuses to be taken lightly. While producer and frequent collaborator J. Period spins an entrancing beat complete with a Biggie vocal sample, lyrical collaborators General Steele and M-1 (of Dead Prez fame) drop verses aimed at inspiring some truly independent hip-hop thought: “I’m a change maker, like Marcus Garvey in Jamaica.” As far as Nneka is concerned, it’s hard to truly get a read on her skills with only a hook, so all I can say it that I want to hear more. For more globally informed music be sure to check out Nneka’s The Madness (Onye-Ala) Mixtape, slated to set a match to the world on December 15.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/9/09
Sony Music Ent. Germany
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Heartbeat (Koolkojak Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.