Recently elevated to online buzzmaker status thanks to a Monster freestyle featuring savage (but apparently unintentional) potshots at Nicki Minaj, Nitty Scott, MC describes herself as a “true backpack rapper with a rocket in that sh*t,” and derides wack femcees for being nothing more than “vaginas with mics.” If that all strikes you as a little intimidating, then you’ll likely be as surprised as I am when you click “play” on the B.K. native’s latest mixtape single/first Booth feature. Far from a gritty display of mic aggression, I Luv My Life is as carefree and catchy as it is lyrically astute. Backed by 6th Sense‘s mellow acoustic-guitar groove (complete with a synth hook inspired by Steely Dan’s Peg), Scott details her background, her hustle and her lofty ambitions in vivid, down-to-earth bars: “Bring it back like a tap to the spinal, hopscotch barrettes and boom box cassettes / Hustlers on corners and churches with steeples, I promise I’ll never disconnect from the people.” Those intrigued by this glimpse into Nitty Scott’s life should keep it locked – her latest mixtape, The Boombox Diaries (Vol. 1), has yet to receive a release date, but we’ll keep you posted.
Written by richard on 11/14/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"House Shoes" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.