Recently elevated to online buzzmaker status thanks to a Monster freestyle featuring savage (but apparently unintentional) potshots at Nicki Minaj, Nitty Scott, MC describes herself as a “true backpack rapper with a rocket in that sh*t,” and derides wack femcees for being nothing more than “vaginas with mics.” If that all strikes you as a little intimidating, then you’ll likely be as surprised as I am when you click “play” on the B.K. native’s latest mixtape single/first Booth feature. Far from a gritty display of mic aggression, I Luv My Life is as carefree and catchy as it is lyrically astute. Backed by 6th Sense‘s mellow acoustic-guitar groove (complete with a synth hook inspired by Steely Dan’s Peg), Scott details her background, her hustle and her lofty ambitions in vivid, down-to-earth bars: “Bring it back like a tap to the spinal, hopscotch barrettes and boom box cassettes / Hustlers on corners and churches with steeples, I promise I’ll never disconnect from the people.” Those intrigued by this glimpse into Nitty Scott’s life should keep it locked – her latest mixtape, The Boombox Diaries (Vol. 1), has yet to receive a release date, but we’ll keep you posted.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"House Shoes" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.