While the title of West Coast buzzmaker (and recent Booth showcase participant) NIQUE‘s latest mixtape leak carries nostalgic connotations, the record is more than a simple retro throwback; like fellow Vegas representatives (and FloDeep partners-in-rhyme) Marion Write and Radio Ramone, the up-and-comer deals in a forward-looking blend of old and new-school influences, and this joint fits that description to a tee. Over Superslikuzi‘s shuffling percussion and soulful horn stabs, the artist spits bars composed of “a little bit of this and a little bit of that.” The dominant flavors in NIQUE’s lyrical casserole? Tightly-wound trash-talk and witty braggadocio, liberally seasoned with alliteration and internal rhyme “Hold up, let me hit ém with the slick sh*t, smooth flow, same reason why your chick split / quick n*gga, I be on that sick sh*t, brand new LeBron #6 sh*t…” Does this eclectically fresh banger leave you craving more? Then you’ll find what you seek on NIQUE’s FloDeep/GoWhere-sponsored X.XIII street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – October 13.
Written by richard on 09/7/10
Submit your Rating
Flo Deep Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Long Time Comin" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.