While the title of West Coast buzzmaker (and recent Booth showcase participant) NIQUE‘s latest mixtape leak carries nostalgic connotations, the record is more than a simple retro throwback; like fellow Vegas representatives (and FloDeep partners-in-rhyme) Marion Write and Radio Ramone, the up-and-comer deals in a forward-looking blend of old and new-school influences, and this joint fits that description to a tee. Over Superslikuzi‘s shuffling percussion and soulful horn stabs, the artist spits bars composed of “a little bit of this and a little bit of that.” The dominant flavors in NIQUE’s lyrical casserole? Tightly-wound trash-talk and witty braggadocio, liberally seasoned with alliteration and internal rhyme “Hold up, let me hit ém with the slick sh*t, smooth flow, same reason why your chick split / quick n*gga, I be on that sick sh*t, brand new LeBron #6 sh*t…” Does this eclectically fresh banger leave you craving more? Then you’ll find what you seek on NIQUE’s FloDeep/GoWhere-sponsored X.XIII street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – October 13.
Written by richard on 09/7/10
Submit your Rating
Flo Deep Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Long Time Comin" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.