Raised amidst grinding poverty and violent crime, Nipsey Hu$$le managed to work his way out of the ‘hood with nothing more than a dollar, a dream and a talent for microphone murder. It goes without saying—but I’m going to say it anyway, because it’s the title of his latest feature—that he’s Proud of That. Single numero uno off the Slauson Boy’s long-awaited studio debut, this triumphant jam finds beatsmith Jiggy Hendrix pairing a syncopated 808 rhythm with swirling synths as the West Coast mainstay retraces the arc of his ascent, defending his actions on the block (“I did dirt ‘cause I was comin’ out the grave, n*gga.”) but congratulating himself for ultimately going legit and beating the odds. Assisting on the guest tip, Maybach mogul Rick Ross enjoys the view from the top (and plots against his enemies) in a high-rolling closing verse. If Hu$$le’s latest street anthem has you hooked, stay tuned—iHussle has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes. Additionally, those who haven’t already peeped it can click here to check out the official video for Nipsey’s girl-stealing anthem, I Need That.
Written by richard on 05/3/12
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.