If you were to ask a random sampling of Booth regulars, “Who’s the next on the West?” it’s a good bet that nine out of 10 would immediately respond, “Nipsey Hussle.” Though there are plenty of worthy Left Coast up-and-comers to choose from, the South Central native’s unique blend of classic Cali style and new-school swagger reads like a recipe for breakout success—in other words, he’s just Gotta Make It. Sent to the Booth as a rough mix four months ago and recently passed along in mastered form, this mixtape cut was originally considered as a single off Hussle’s forthcoming debut album, and it shows; as Hussle delivers characteristically hard-nosed verses, Scram Jones serves up a laid-back beat brimming with classic West Coast appeal, and the memorable hook comes complete with the chilled-out vocal stylings of not one but two R&B guest artists: frequent Hussle collaborator June Summers is joined here by up-and-coming singer/rapper Tasleema. Easily one of the Slauson Boy’s most crowd-pleasing features to date, GMI can be found on Hussle’s Bullets Ain’t Got No Name Vol. 3 mixtape, set to drop this summer.
Written by richard on 06/18/09
Submit your Rating
All Money In
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Roll ft. The Game" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.